What's in the Food Bag?

Dear Reader,

When I share my story, a frequent question I get is "So what does your daily menu look like?" Specifically, "What is in your food bag?"  "What do you eat on the road?"

Flying around the country/world presents quite a challenge to one's diet. Airplane and airport food. . .ugh.  Thankfully, there are now some decent options. However, if you are a clean foodie junkie (okay, snob) such as myself, those options become slim to none.  Salads are great, but I prefer organic veggies.  And the dressings in the little packages?? Not so much. Most of the time, loaded with sugar, the nasty oils, and many other ingredients one cannot pronounce.  I'll pass, thanks.

Hotel restaurants or restaurants around our hotels will most definitely present you healthier options. However, I don't eat out at home, so why would I on the road? I'm too fussy (and cheap).

As you'll see most of these items do not need heating up. I like to make eating on the fly/road to be simple and quick. For my many friends who want that hot meal, I believe the latest "HOT" (pun intended) topic is the HotLogic Electric Cooker or a 'knock-off' from Amazon. This has become popular to heat up food (in your hotel room not on the plane ;) )

Here are some things you will find in my food bag:

* Always hard boiled eggs - brown & organic (2 a day). I keep a little travel/camping salt & pepper shaker. I peel them at home and put in a baggy. Keep it simple. TIP: Place vinegar in your boiling water. It makes them easier to peel and keeps the smell to a minimum. You KNOW what I mean! Boil for 9 mins to completely cook the yoke or 8m45s for softer yolks. (my fav).

* Fage Total Plain Greek Yogurt (5%) 7 oz cups. Perfect to peel the lid stir in my "add-ins" and throw away when done.
Add-ins may include but are not limited to protein powder (I use this one); super greens powder (I like this one); unsweetened shredded coconut;  a mixture of ground flax seed, chia seed and hemp seed; and some clear or flavored Stevia.

* "Granola Cereal" made with a variety of finely chopped nuts, seeds and coconut.  Eat with unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Add some berries for good anti-oxidants! Here is the recipe from my Pinterest board. I have tweeked this over time.  I don't use hazelnuts. I like to add extra almonds. For those of you who don't mind a few more carbs and do not want to buy 'erythritol', certainly feel free to substitute with raw, organic honey.  I also sprinkle cinnamon and some allspice for added sweet, spice flavor.  My husband loves to throw a few raisins in as well. He's the one with the 'sweet' tooth.  If you want to add another great anti-oxidant and get your chocolate fix at the same time, add some raw, organic cacao nibs like these. YUM!

NOTE: For those of you not familiar with erythritol here is the skinny (pun intended)
BIGGER NOTE!  I am not a fan of corn - MOST corn is GMO.  Please choose a brand that is NON-GMO if you are going to use a 'corn' derived erythritol.  I like Anthony's Goods brand.
ONE MORE NOTE: Regarding 'sugar alcohols', some people may find some intestinal discomfort.  Test a small amount before using in recipes. I like erythritol for this very reason. It does not seem to cause this issue like some other 'sugar alcohols' such as xylitol have to potential to do.
LAST NOTE - Pinky promise!: I make my own "Swerve/Truvia" in bulk. Using this erythritol and this pure Stevia powder.  I found the ratio that works for me: one cup of erythritol to 1 tablespoon of pure stevia. If you prefer sweeter, add more stevia powder.

* Canned wild caught salmon on a bed of greens & sliced avocado with homemade Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing. Here is the recipe on one condition ;) . . . use FULL FAT sour cream or Greek Yogurt and NOT lowfat. THANK YOU! Of course, if you are like my husband and loathe cilantro, omit it or replace with an herb you do like.

* Homemade Trail Mix like this one

* Beef Jerky (ideally made from grass fed beef)

* Keto Pancake Mini Muffins ~ these are yummy! Love the blueberry!

* KETO "Everything" Bagels - look here!  Add some Philly Cream cheese and smoked salmon - YUM!

* Protein Bars (these need to be kept cool or they will turn to mush because of the coconut oil). NOTES: For simplicity sake, I have also tweeked this one over time.  It's easier to mix in some Enjoy Life Chocolate chips instead of having another step of making the chocolate topping. My husband prefers maple syrup and a touch of Blackstrap Molasses in lieu of the Stevia blend sweetener like Swerve or Truvia.  It won't be quite as low carb if you are okay with that. Throw in some hemp, flax and chia seeds for added good fats.

* And then theire are egg muffins! Scramble 10 or 12 eggs and add all your favorite veggies, some cheese, and maybe a favorite meat. I like to use a muffin pan (I use silicone - EASY to pop out), but you can entire mixture into a greased 13 x 9 and cut into squares. Here is a great recipe.  Feel free to mix it up.  If you are not a fan of certain meats change them or omit them altogether. Keep it simply with just eggs, veggies and cheese.

BY THE WAY!  NO NEED TO NEGLECT YOUR STARBUCKS!  Check THIS and THIS out!  WOO-HOO!

For lots more ideas please check out this board on My Pinterest.

Thanks for reading!  Ciao!

~ Barbie



Comments

Popular Posts